Tuesday 1 April 2014

Stopping Distances


Visit my fb page  https://www.facebook.com/blackandamberdrivingschool

Over the years the most common statement I’ve heard from pupils is:

“I’ve learned all the stopping distances on dry and wet roads just in case I’m asked in the driving test.” To me the correct reason for knowing this information has been lost all because to most of us, these are just another figure. I’m often asked, “How do I know for example what distance 169 metres is?

The reason for knowing this information should not be a means of being able to answer questions correctly in your driving test. These distances are given to keep everyone safe on the road where if the vehicle in front of you stopped suddenly that you would have enough distance between you and it to react and stop safely.

When during a lesson I’m talking to a pupil about stopping distances. I try to put it in terms that we all easily understand and give a visual way of seeing what that distance is.

We have all been stopped in a queue of traffic either as a passenger or the driver and so would know what 3 or 4 cars in a queue would look like. The average car is 4.5 meters in length.  The below guide should help get a handle on what the different stopping distances look like. Click on below charts for larger images.