Monday 1 April 2013

Progress - To Go OR Not To Go


Visit my fb page  https://www.facebook.com/blackandamberdrivingschool

Progress is a category in the driving test. It covers nine different areas; moving off, on the straight, overtaking, at cross junctions, at roundabouts, turning right, turning left, changing lanes and at traffic lights.

The reason behind this being part of your test I agree with, but the way people perceive it to be, I don’t agree with. I have found that people, who come to me after having done a driving test before, take unnecessary risks at junctions and roundabouts. When I ask, was that the safest time to move out? I hear over and over again, I got marked in my last test for progress.

Believe me there is not a single tester in the world who wants you to kill yourself on the road. Their job is to ascertain that you are a safe and competent driver making good on the spot judgements which keep both you and other road users safe.
You will only be marked for progress if you have not taken a safe opportunity to join the other traffic. Again, testers do not want you to take unnecessary risks.

So, here is a tip I hope you all find useful when you come to a junction or roundabout ....
Q. How do I judge a safe gap to join other traffic?

A. If the vehicle already on the road you are joining, has to break to make room for you - Don’t Dare

If you can join the other traffic without forcing them to slow down for you, - Don’t Dawdle (but do remember to allow for the fact that you will be slower moving off than the other traffic already in motion).